A User-Friendly Guide to Cross-Registration
The Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education (PCHE) allows students from the ten accredited colleges and universities in Allegheny County to cross-register for courses at any PCHE institution. (While Pittsburgh Theological Seminary is part of PCHE, they currently don't let college students enroll in courses.) You can read about details and restrictions here. The most important points to keep in mind are:
- There is no additional tuition beyond what you already pay per course.
- Full credits and grades transfer to your home institution.
- Enrollment is limited to one course per semester.
- Summer courses are not eligible.
- You may not be allowed to cross-register if an identical course is offered at your own institution.
How to Cross-Register
You'll be relieved to hear that PCHE cross-registration is very simple. All the institutions use the same PCHE form. The hard parts are:
- Scheduling: sometimes it's hard to find a course with a time that doesn't interfere with your home institution's schedule, and gives you time for transportation.
- A bit of footwork: while you can fill out the form on your computer, you do have to print it out (ugh!) and tread the pavement to get signatures from:
- your advisor
- your home dean (Pitt students only)
- Then you have to find your registrar's office and turn in the form (ugh!).
Here are links to the form. They are all the same form, but it's a good idea to get to it from your home institution's page so you can read their instructions. (Don't hesitate to ask us for help.)
Carlow: does not provide online instructions. Use one of the other links, and double check with the Registrar's Office to confirm the procedures.
CCAC: does not provide online instructions. Use one of the other links, and double check with Registration Services to confirm the procedures.
RMU: does not provide online instructions. Use one of the other links, and double check with Academic Affairs to confirm the procedures.